How to earn money from your blog with Google AdSense – 2017 edition
Making money from your blogging for your blog is extremely important. And when it comes to revenue, none other than Google Adsense comes up to a blogger’s mind. Since it’s regarding the revenue, beginners hesitate to register for Adsense. And moreover, it has changed a lot in last few years. Here, we will see in & outs of the new AdSense of 2017 and everything a beginner should know.
Understanding New Adsense
Adsense is one platform that rests all your plans to build your revenue out of the posts you publish on your blog. Adsense is a CPC (cost per click) advertising platform for the publishers that let bloggers make money while their content is viewed by readers. A few lines of HTML code does the magic of making money online. And the best part is ads are different for each user. Depending upon various factors the ads would vary each time.
Factors affecting the ads per user
- Cache & cookies
- browsing history
- Ads you choose & agree to display
These factors shall be discussed in detail in subsequent sections, so make sure you read it till the end.
What will you find in this post?
- Reasons for opting AdSense.
- How to configure it for your blog.
- Best practices to excel at AdSense.
AdSense is one of the easiest, efficient and most trusted platform among the bloggers. Considering the popularity of google among bloggers it is top notch platform for your blog’s revenue for a reason. There are over 2 million small & large businesses that depend on AdSense for their revenue.
Signing up for AdSense makes you free from managing your ads and just focus only on how to grow traffic, which is more important to make the best out of AdSense. AdSense transforms into a bridge between businesses looking for advertising and publishers like you who are looking for monetizing blogs by selling ads.
It’s good to know that advertisers create ads of their businesses on Google’s another masterpiece “AdWords” wherein they get a variety of inventory and tools to market their business which in turn reflects in AdSense and out of various categories you choose what’s best for your blog. Without consuming further time, let’s dive into the main chunk of the post. Fly here to learn more about AdSense sign up process.
Why should you opt for Google AdSense?
#1 Make AdSense to work for you
While you are busy building your brand and getting the steady traffic AdSense will work for your blog in bringing the best of bestest ads for your blog. AdSense optimizes ads based on your content, making it more likely for the readers to click it and hence creating more chances of maximizing your revenue. All you have to do is sign up and focus on the brand building and getting a steady traffic.
#2 You have the upper hand, always !!
When it comes to controlling what’s being advertised on your blog, none other than AdSense comes ahead in the race. It’s your who decide what will be advertised, how will it be advertised and how much will it be advertised. Google puts you in the driver’s seat so as to drive your blog towards success.
A brief of the power packed features of Google AdSense include:
- You choose the ad format out of various formats and types (text, display, rich media and so on) and place it on your website where you experience the maximum traffic.
- You can block certain ads that do not suit your niche or the values of your blog. AdSense has a very deep structure of categories of ads that are available to use. For example, if you have food blog and running ads of fashion accessories is useless for your blog, you can very well block it from the dashboard.
- Customize the appearance of the ads matching the theme and ambiance of your blog.
#3 Optimize, measure, earn & repeat !!
Adsense is really amazing at controlling ads in such a way that without hampering existing setup, you can experiment the next set up. Having said this, it becomes very easy to analyze what needs modification. The reports containing various factors governing the revenue of your blog, helps you decide what’s working best for your blog.
- The insights that you will get from these metrics are more than enough to scale your revenue against performance versus engaging ads.
- With AdSense in action, it is ever easy to test the best and get them to work for your blog. A/B experiments is one of the best tools to help you make better and measured decisions.
#4 Mobile friendly and auto sized.
With an increase in mobile usage, it is highly important to maintain the gaps between the web version of your blog and mobile version of your blog. But with Adsense, it’s super easy to bridge that gap.
- The mobile app provides you everything that’s needed to instantaneously manage and govern your AdSense account. It covers the revenue, ad unit wise insights, site info, impressions, bid types and lot more amazing stuff.
- For your users, the ads are auto sized depending upon the screen’s size. Creating such responsive ad units makes it more likely to get clicks from the end users which gives us one more reason to opt for Google Adsense.
How to configure Google Adsense for your blog?
Now that you know the advantages of using Google Adsense, let us explore the configuration part of it. There are few things to keep in mind before jumping into Google Adsense.
These pointers are good to know before applying for AdSense:
- Keep “About”, “Contact”, “Privacy” and “Homepage” up do date.
- Constantly publish original content with the end user in mind. Because google’s aim is to provide quality content to end user and if you intend to make the best out of google Adsense then it’s important to abide by this one fact that your content should add value to end user’s need.
No doubt your content should be search engine friendly but the end of the day it’s the end users who will read your content, not the search engine.
- A decent design is highly appreciated. Easy navigation, clear text and eye soothing look and feel of your blog.
- Full ownership of your blog is mandatory, you cannot apply for AdSense for blogs you are an author to.
- Make sure your blogs adheres to AdSense program policies
These are the best practices for google Adsense being approved, and it takes around 5-7 business days to get your blog reviewed and once it’s reviewed you just have to find the right ad unit and place its code on your blog and that’s it rest will be taken care by Adsense team and the platform itself. All you have to do is focus on your posts to bring traffic to your blog and enjoy the revenue.
Best practices for maximizing revenue from Google AdSense
Here are the few things we recommend and follow ourselves to get max out of Adsense.
#1 Place users at the center
Have a super smooth content and navigation. Logically arrange your site making it feel home to the end users. It’s understood that maximizing the revenue from AdSense is important but the user experience is more important. Ask these questions to yourself to better understand the user requirements without asking them.
- What Is the intention of the user that will bring them to my site?
- What is it that my content going to serve the end users?
- What are similar sites like mine serving the end users? How can I better serve them?
- Where do I want the end users to focus on my blog?
- What is the best way to integrate the ads without annoying the end users?
- How can I speed up the blog with all the ads intact?
- Who are the target audience for my blog? Their location will play a vital role in your revenue.
After you have answers to these questions try thinking from a user’s perspective. What would you do if you come across a blog exactly like your which has the information you are looking for. Consider considering the first-time users, ask yourself “Will the first timers find my content and blog easy to use?” most of your user experience related questions will be answered thinking this way. More you take care of your users, more google will take care of your revenue. Understanding basics of AdSense will bring a real good response in terms of revenue to you.
#2 Organize the layout well
- Place the ads in between content in such a way that it doesn’t appear eye hurting and annoying, at the same time it should be placed where the user can find it.
- Place ads where your blog experiences maximum traffic. If your home pages have maximum traffic, then it’s obvious that you need to place quality and responsive ads there.
- Place at most 3 ads on any page of your blog. More than that it seems annoying and will result in user leaving your blog immediately and may not return. This will ultimately pull down your ranking and the revenue too. So it’s better to place fewer ads and earn less than placing more ads and not earning at all.
- Do not make ads look like something else, those glittering and highlighting animations are strictly annoying. Avoid it
This brings the conclusion of why opting for AdSense is beneficial for blogs. These practices and tips are proven to be helpful by many. Do consider dropping your thoughts below in comments section and sharing it in your network.
Related: Make Google ads more relevant