Remember the hoax created by ecoIron that Google could save up to 3000 Megawatt-hours of energy by switching to black screen. There was also an explanation by the Google itself that why it is not feasible to show results in black screen background.
Well, the truth is – if you are using LCD screen or monitor then it hardly matters which background color you use. White, Black and even RGB colourful screens would be consuming same amount of energy for LCD. Despite of this fact, there are many custom search engines still prevailing that provide search results with black background. Here is the list of top 5:
1. Blackle : The most popular amongst all black screen search engines.
2. Jabago : The sleek and good looking.
3. Dark Search : Also available in various flavors like green, pink, yellow and blue color.
4. Earthle : The energy saving black search engine.
5. Black Google : based on blogspot platform with different copies.
Even Google has made its homepage black for a day at earth hour event and Lights Out San Francisco. Other worth noticing custom search engines are Ranzooz – the antiglare engine and Ecocho – the carbon neutral engine.
All these search engines are based on Google Custom Search Engine and generates revenue by displaying ads along Google results. Even you can create your own search engine with different colors, fonts and settings at Google Custom Search.